Singapore still ‘seriously concerned’ over situation in Myanmar a year after military takeover
One year after the military seized control in Myanmar, Singapore said that the situation there remained “very concerning” and that it is disappointed by the lack of progress on an ASEAN strategy to address the humanitarian crisis.
Singapore’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said in a statement that the people of Myanmar’s situation “continues to deteriorate,” and urged Myanmar’s military leadership to quickly and completely implement Asean’s five-point accord.
Following the February 1 coup, Asean presented a plan to the Myanmar government in April to cease the bloodshed, offer humanitarian relief, and enable discussion among all parties involved.
“Singapore further asks for the release of all political detainees, including U Win Myint, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and foreign detainees, as well as for the Myanmar military authorities to refrain from taking steps that may jeopardize Myanmar’s ultimate national reconciliation,” the MFA stated.
Following a coup launched by Myanmar’s military, the administration led by then-President U Win Myint and State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi was ousted on February 1 last year.